It is common knowledge that a great number of modular users suffer from Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Sometimes it is about finding the modules that work for you but often it is driven by a need for the newest, coolest most baddass feature set available. With the holidays fast approaching, it is a fine time to pause and remember what you have. Sure, there are plenty of Black Friday deals out there, but what if that neglected simple VCO you have could do more?
Get the most from a simple VCO possible. Create a patch using only a single VCO as the only sound source and create as many voices as you can without multi-tracking.
Many simple VCOs offer multiple simultaneous wave outputs. In this Patchable, you are encouraged to take full advantage of these. Create bass, melody, percussion, and/or noise. Gate it all differently. Mix waves, divide or multiply, filter, delay, frequency shift, chop them up or make them drone. What you do with the waves after the VCO is entirely up to you and whatever you want to use. The VCO you use should really only have a single oscillator. For example, STO, Spectrum, Dixie, VCOb
Some restrictions apply to this challenge:
- The VCO you use should only have a single oscillator.
- Do not use complex VCOs, this includes but is not limited to:
- Modeling VCO (Plaits, Braids, Rings, etc)
- Wavetable VCO (E352, Piston Honda, SWN, etc)
- Dual, triple, quad or oct VCOs (DPO, Cs-L, Antiphon, etc)
- Harmonic oscillators (Verbos HO, Stages, Odessa, etc)
- Drum modules (no trig inputs, BIA, Fracture, etc)
- Full voice VCOs are discouraged, but if you must, try to only use it in the manner of a single, simple VCO. M32, 0-Coast are acceptable examples because there are single VCO.
Keep in mind, this is about getting the most from a simple VCO. It is not meant to exclude those that do not have a simple VCO. If you would like to participate but do not have a simple VCO, try your best to stick to the rules. For example, if all you have is a DPO, use only one side of the DPO.
HOW TO PLAY
THIS PATCHABLE RUNS FROM NOV 23rd – Dec 6TH
- Create an original piece of music following the above challenge.
- Include the suffix PATCHABLE-0007 in the track title. A completed track title would look like this: Spiral Vortex PATCHABLE-0007 (where “Spiral Vortex” is your song name).
- Upload your track to soundcloud by end of day, Friday December 6th.
- Include a link to your track and patch notes in the comments below.