Drum machines are technological paragons of rhythmic production and exploration. While it is easy to credit the beautiful design behind the beat boxes we adore, the real genius lies in the application by artists. Abstracting the idea of the drum machine further and placing focus on the artist is what this Patchable is all about.
For this Patchable we challenge you to create your own drum machine using modular components. Create each drum voice using any modules that are not drum modules. Using this drum machine make a song that is percussion based. You are free to use any modules except the following:
- No drum modules
- No samplers
- No voice modules which require a trig input to emit sound – VCOs with a trig in are permitted, so long as the trig is not used
Other things to note:
- no sampled drum loops or sounds
- Using a delay, looper or sampler to effect your drum voices in real time, is allowed.
- Using a single cycle waveform to create a VCO from a sample is allowed.
HOW TO PLAY
THIS PATCHABLE RUNS FOR THE MONTH OF AUGUST – DEADLINE AUGUST 31
- Create an original piece of music. It does not have to be a complete track. Ideas are welcome.
- Include the suffix PATCHABLE-0017 in the track title. A completed track title would look like this: Spiral Vortex PATCHABLE-0017
- Upload your track to soundcloud by end of day, August 31st.
- Include a link to your track and patch notes in the comments below.
This month’s Patchable Performers, on Aug 27th, is based on this Patchable. The live show will incorporate a twist on the concept. If you wish to perform this Patchable, live, on the show, please message @saddleuptherobots, or @VCLoki on discord for information.
PLEASE NOTE: If you’re interested in performing the patchable live, do NOT post a recording to the site, until after the show. We want the performances to be a surprise.